Saturday, May 15, 2010

Blessing of the Fleet



This is how my morning started ~ soooo, you know it's going to be a good day...
I just happened to have my camera sitting in my seat, so I got this picture of Mr. Big Bird at my neighbors house just minding his own business.

 Then after I picked the girls up from school, we ran down to the harbor to see the begining of the blessing of the fleet.  This was the 53rd year of carrying on this tradition but this year was different, hundreds gathered to pray for the future of fishing in Destin on Thursday afternoon as the ever-expanding oil slick loomed in the Gulf of Mexico.  This is a community of prayer, when things are out of control they pull together and this is just another example of the community we call home.
The boats go by... one by one and they get blessed.  The kids play and then there is a fish fry.  It is simple, it is fun and it is tradition.







Look what the girls found, they put him back...









Eating!!!






The end of the night as Shane Cannon puts the chairs up...







No comments:

Post a Comment